PR and social media campaign
Highest-ever traffic and conversion levels
Today, Bitdefender’s cybersecurity software is trusted by some of the world’s biggest companies and has over 500 million users. But its brand awareness and reputation in key markets like the USA and Europe was low.
To maximise the company’s capability to sell through the IT channel and the effectiveness of its ecommerce activity, it embarked on a sustained international PR and social media campaign to boost brand recognition.
Bitdefender plays in a highly competitive space with brands such as Symantec and McAfee already well established. Without the budget for large-scale above the line campaigns, smart thinking was needed to explore how brand reputation could be increased within high impact audience sets.
So, the company looked to target IT “super-users” – technically proficient people who often act as influencers to those who specify or purchase security software.
A schedule of technically credible content was created to boost social media activity and media engagement with both tech and mainstream influencers in broadcast, print and online.
This content was also be housed on the HotForSecurity blog, Bitdefender’s principle owned media outlet for cybersecurity alerts, news and thought leadership.
The content schedule featured a mix of tactics to ensure credible content was produced on a regular basis. Including:
- Alerts and technical advice on current cyber threats
- Industry thought leadership on current and future cybersecurity landscape
- Rapid response comments on breaking industry news and cyber threats
- Reviews and analyst engagement during annual product launch cycle
This was supplemented with digital content including a themed arcade game playable through Facebook and a sustained program of social engagement.
Gaining endorsement from media respected by our super-user target audience was critical to the project’s success. An international outreach campaign enabled us to build positive relationships with those who could help raise brand profile. This included:
- Media tours across Europe and the USA to meet key tech journalists
- Blogger outreach and small-scale seminar events
- Product placement – supplying Bitdefender products for review
- Media briefings on breaking stories
- Highest-ever traffic and conversion levels on Bitdefender’s ecommerce platform
- High profile mainstream media coverage including Sky News, MSNBC, BBC Breakfast News, Daily Mail, USA Today, El Pais and Bild
- Strong coverage with online tech influencers including Techcrunch, ZDNet and TechRadar
- The company’s best ever year for product reviews including Editor’s Choice award from PC Mag, Which? Best Buy and further positive reviews across major tech titles in Europe and the Americas
- Over 1 million people reached through organic social campaigns