PR and social media campaign
Highest-ever traffic and conversion levels
Today, Bitdefender’s cybersecurity software is trusted by some of the world’s biggest companies and over 500 million users. But historically brand awareness and reputation in key markets like the USA and Europe was low.
To maximise the company’s capability to sell through the IT channel and the effectiveness of its ecommerce activity, it recognised it needed to embark on a sustained international PR and social media campaign to boost brand recognition.
Bitdefender plays in a highly competitive space with brands such as Symantec and McAfee already well established. Without the budget for large-scale above the line campaigns, smart thinking was needed to explore how brand reputation could be increased within high impact audience sets.
So, the company looked to target IT “super-users” – technically proficient people who often act as influencers to others who might specify or purchase security software.
A schedule of technically credible content was needed to drive an increase in social media activity and media engagement with both tech and mainstream influencers in broadcast, print and online.
This content would also be housed on the HotForSecurity blog, Bitdefender’s principle owned media outlet for cybersecurity alerts, news and thought leadership.
The content schedule featured a range of tactics to ensure credible content was produced on a regular basis. Including:
- Alerts and technical advice on current cyber threats
- Industry thought leadership on the current and future cybersecurity landscape
- Rapid response comment on breaking industry news and cyber threats
- Reviews and analyst engagement during annual product launch cycle
This was supplemented with digital content such as a themed arcade game playable through Facebook and a sustained program of social engagement.
Critical to success of the campaign was to gain endorsement from media respected by our super-user target audience. An international outreach campaign was undertaken to build positive relationships with those who could help raise brand profile. This included:
- Media tours across Europe and the USA to meet key tech journalists
- Blogger outreach and small-scale seminar events
- Supplying Bitdefender products for review
- Media briefings on breaking stories
- Highest-ever traffic and conversion levels through Bitdefender’s ecommerce platform
- High profile mainstream media coverage including Sky News, MSNBC, BBC Breakfast News, Daily Mail, USA Today, El Pais and Bild
- Strong coverage with online tech influencers including Techcrunch, ZDNet and TechRadar
- The company’s best ever year for product reviews including Editor’s Choice award from PC Mag, Which? Best Buy and further positive reviews across major tech titles in Europe and the Americas
- Over 1 million people reached through organic social campaigns